1.1.14

A New Year

The first of January.

'Tis a day to look backwards, and forwards, like Janus himself.

For this particular individual, 2013 was an eventful year and a year of adjustment and consolidation, in which I grew accustomed in the years approaching my half-century to the novel (to me) experience of married life with two stepchildren.

For my wife was a widow when I met her, with a son and a daughter.

And my family, unlike me, are Japanese nationals.

So English is their second language, which the children are now rapidly becoming familiar with, but their quadragenarian mother is struggling to come to grips with its foreign (to her) grammar and syntax.

And the year ended with the news that a new child is travelling towards us in its mother's womb, with its expected arrival date late in July (just after its father's -- my -- 49th birthday).

So it is a year which this particular individual faces with trepidation.

The oncoming year is going to be a year of new experiences for all here in Terangeree Tower, with the step-son setting forth into the world of High School, and his little sister's school year being the first time in her life when her big brother won't be nearby.

And, when the baby arrives, it will be likely that I will be in a new job, working in Western Australia on a fly-in, fly-out basis.

More money, more time with my family, and more loneliness when at work.

It will be a year of wonders, and a year of joy.

It will also, probably, be a year which brings with it some disappointment and sorrow -- as all years are for most people.

I only hope now, on January 1, that 2014 will be a year that brings 99 per cent joy and 1 per cent sadness.

No comments:

Post a Comment